Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Greek Life Experience: Christine Cassimus

Going Greek wasn't much of a decision for me. It was something I had wanted to do ever since I saw my brothers join Fraternities at the University of Georgia. I've never actually admitted this but I immediately ruled out schools that didn't have any kind of Greek life at all. At Queens, sorority recruitment is usually in September so the potential new members (PNMs) have quite awhile to wait. 



For me, it was pretty easy to go through recruitment because both my roommate and the two girls who lived next to us were also doing it. I had someone to rush around and get ready with. You know that old saying that you “shouldn't talk about what house you’re prefing”. Well we didn't keep to that. Every night after the parties we would talk and gossip about the different houses. All four of us had different opinions about the four sororities on campus. Preference night came and went and we were told that Bid Day would start at noon the next morning. We were also told that if someone didn't receive a bid, that girl would get a phone call early in the morning so she wouldn't have to show up. Of course this made my mind race about in fear; I thought I was going to be that one girl who didn't get a bid. My nervousness woke me up at 7AM the next morning and for the life of me I couldn't go back to sleep. So what did I do instead? What any good sorority girl would do instead: shower, shave, and make myself look perfect for bid day. I was the very last girl in my Pi Chi (rho chi for some schools) group to get my bid and when I did it was the happiest moment of my life. 

As fate would have it, I went KD, my roommate went Chi Omega, and our next door neighbors went ADPi and Phi Mu. We were still the best of friends but that didn't mean we were destined to be sisters. You can’t fight fate after all. If you are on the fence about going Greek, do it. I can promise that you won’t regret it.

1 comment:

  1. So funny that I stumbled upon this post today, because I also go to Queens!I just transferred there and am starting Rush tonight actually. This makes me so excited!!

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!