Friday, January 10, 2014

Greek Unity

Theta Phi Alpha, Phi Sigma Sigma, and Zeta Tau Alpha
Everyone is unique and different in their own way. That is what makes you...well, you. In the same way, every sorority is different. They have their own rituals, traditions, and beliefs, but does that mean you should be hating on them?
No, it is completely and totally wrong. If you think you are high and mighty and above everyone else, then you have got to be kidding me. Being Greek is all about sisterly love, friendship, leadership roles, learning rituals, and the biggest of all, philanthropy!
You can't completely hate a sorority because, for example, you just don't like one girl in it. Isn't that wrong? I mean pick out all the ones you like and be friends with them. I'm sure when you're going into job interviews a few years down the line you are going to meet someone in Greek life. Are you going to say, "Ouch, that sorority you were in really sucked and I didn't like anyone in it"? No, you want to say "I have friends in that sorority and they really enjoyed being apart of such a great legacy."
Greek Unity could bring so many more girls through rush or recruitment because they see that it isn't as catty as they thought it would be. It could be such a great marketing tool to get different girls of various backgrounds and upbringings to Greek life.
At my school, I put together a petition against Greek rank to show our campus, and everyone that, as Greeks, we stick together. I have had numerous people sign it and comment on how great it is, but overall, it is all about what your school makes of Greek unity. Don't get me wrong, if you go on Greek Rank now, you will still see current people posting, but to see that many people in Greek life have signed a petition against it warms my heart.
Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon
for our annual Thanksgiving Dinner
A Greek organization can do amazing things separately, but when they come together, so much more could happen. You get to meet so many people you never thought you would get the chance to know so well. I am so lucky and fortunate to say I have so many best friends within the Greek community with our sororities, fraternities, and our multicultural Greek life. I consider myself blessed everyday for getting to know these people and being apart of something so great at our school.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!