Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spring Recruitment Fashion 101 for Rushees

One of my biggest concerns when going through recruitment was... well... everything. It is a very stressful time for almost every girl trying to find her perfect fit. One of the most stressful aspects of rushing is making a great first impression. For some girls, this is a piece of cake and for others it is panic city. Worry not, you wonderful young women, every sorority woman can relate. Personally, I went through Fall Recruitment during my freshman year and I started planning for Rush Week the day I graduated high school. I was flipping through magazines, internet cruising, and window (and splurge) shopping for the perfect Rush apparel. After all of this preparing, I had collected so much clothing I had no idea what to wear when it came down to the fateful week of Recruitment. It was so hard to distinguish what would look good with what and what was appropriate or not. I am lucky enough to go to a school that only has a 5-6 day Rush Week and I learned so much through that whole week. One thing that I want to teach you hopeful young women is how to look and feel confident, beautiful, and classy. So I composed a little list of some rules, ideas, and tips for a successful and fashionable Rush Week.

That's me, the overly excited blonde girl in black that finally got her bid.

How To: Rush Week Fashion

  • First things first, buy clothes that fit you just right. Clothes that are too tight or too loose don't look right and are not too flattering. Before you commit to buying anything, TRY IT ON. I cannot stress that enough! If you are buying dresses or really anything online, read the reviews on that item because past buyers will be darn well ready to tell you if the manufacturer was a little off on the sizing. Girls will rant for hours when it comes to false sizing. Something else to do is measure yourself and compare it to a sizing chart. Just make sure you feel like it looks good on you before committing to the item. Think of it as a long-term relationship.
  • Communicate with the other girls rushing. Get their numbers and communicate about what they are wearing and exchange outfit ideas. One of my good friends, now my sister, and I would get ready together every single day during Rush and we always looked and felt good. 
  • One of the best investments I have ever made was in my nude heels. I absolutely cherish those heels and they were my go-to shoes throughout Rush Week. Honestly, I just wear them now because they are so classy and sophisticated looking and I feel like a million bucks when I wear them. They literally go with everything and even if they don't, I wear them anyway because they are perfect!
My prized nude high heels. They're totally
perfect, am I right?
  • Get dresses or outfits that set you apart and really express who YOU are. If you are really energetic and love patterns of the brightest colors, wear that. The houses want to get to know you and you want to show them who you are. Being 100% yourself during Rush Week is the key to success. 
  • There is nothing wrong with pants during Rush Week, but I would advise you to stay away from old, ratty, and cheap looking jeans...really, jeans all together. Unless they are dark wash skinny jeans that are very simple but can be complimented with a fun statement necklace and adorable shirt with heels (maybe nude heels... or that could just be me).

    My best friend from high school
    on the right and I am on the left
    in my favorite shoes... I think that
    I may be obsessed. But, we are both look
    sophisticated and ready to rush!
  • The first thing a house sees is you flaunting your fabulous self up to introduce yourself. Hence why I say the first impression is so extremely important.
  • Now to something kind of tricky for most girls: cleavage. Unless you are me and you don't really have anything to flaunt, please keep it classy. A little bit is okay, but too much is wayyy too much. If you are worried about this, ask your Recruitment Leader (or Pi Chi, Rho Chi, etc.) what is appropriate. Think to yourself, 'would I wear this to church or to see my grandparents?'. If you have to think about it extensively, then it's probably too much boobage.

    Riding boots are always a good idea... Rush
    Week or not. But during Rush Week I lived
    by the "Modest is Hottest" idea.
  • Wear dresses that you can run in and walk in... just trust me. 
  • If you are ever in need of some good online stores that have ADORABLE dresses, some of my personal favorites are Francesca's, Modcloth, and Apricot Lane.
  • Bubble Necklaces and Statement Necklaces are absolutely precious and extremely common among sorority women. 
This was not during Rush Week but notice how the girl
in the middle, Rachel, is wearing a necklace that ties the
whole outfit together. I am wearing a Bubble Necklace
that contrasts with my dress.

  • One of the MOST IMPORTANT things to wear during Rush Week is a smile. It is one of the most exciting and fun weeks that you will have in your life and it is a memorable experience. Let the houses know that you are happy to be there by wearing a true smile. That is a fashion statement that will never go out of style!



I wish you all a wonderful and blessed Rush Week. Remember to follow your heart and find your perfect fit! Good Luck, ladies! 


Love and @LittleProblems,
Heather G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!