Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nothin' Sweeter Than Georgia Peaches: My Big/Little Story

Running home to Bralin aka the best Big
in all Xi land
My Big and I have a very unique relationship bonded by something very close to our hearts. Our home. Not just our "home away from home", Alpha Xi Delta, but our home state of Georgia. Bralin and I both shared similar stories so naturally, when we met on Preference Night during Fall Recruitment at the University of Central Florida in 2013, the fact that we were both from Georgia came up. I immediately felt a connection with her because not only was she from Georgia, but she also came to UCF from out of state to a completely different world. She had experienced everything I was currently experiencing: homesickness, being away from friends and family, and just the general lonely feeling. I could really connect with her, and hearing her slight southern twang made me feel at home.

That night after Preference Rounds, I had no hesitation when writing Alpha Xi Delta as my #1 choice and I was completely sure that the next day I would be running home to them, and I did. After all the chaotic Bid Day activities died down, we went inside the house to Bralin's room. A huge group of us went back and we got our special Bid Day bags with tons of goodies and Bralin gave me something special... I had no idea what it was when I saw the grocery bag. I looked inside and saw a peach. A Georgia Peach. I wanted to cry; it was such a simple gesture and she had no idea how much it meant to me. 

I was completely and utterly ecstatic with everything that was going on. Being a new member was one of the best times of my collegiate career (NMs- don't take it for granted!), but one of the weeks - Big/Little week - will always be a strong memory. The week leading up to Big/Little week all of the New Members went on "dates" with sisters who were potentially taking a Little. Unfortunately, Bralin and I were never paired up, but my choice never wavered. When the time came to create our Big/Little lists, Bralin was #1.

Bralin gets her paddle!
That night after our lists were made, the Bigs and Littles were paired and all Littles were surprised with treats the same exact night! I was in no way prepared for everything that was going to happen during that week! Bralin gave me all sorts of clues and treats throughout the week to make me think that she wasn't my Big. She gave me clues like "I grew up in Florida", "Curly hair runs in my family", and other things that didn't seem like Bralin at all! All week I was freaking out because I thought that on Friday when we ran home and found our Bigs, I wouldn't find Bralin.

The day of Big/Little Reveal, I went to a grocery store and got a fresh peach, just in case Bralin WAS my Big. I knew if she was, it would mean just as much to her as it did when she gave it to me.
After all the searching on that Friday, I finally ran home into my Big's arms... Bralin! You can see the video here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201120670672034&l=7597589781169387337.

I gave her the peach and ever since then it's sort of been our thing. My Big's paddle was even in the shape of a peach!

Big, Twin, and Sibling
Big/Little Reveal
Our relationship has definitely grown throughout the past year and I can't wait to see it blossom even more. My entire lineage is so amazing and are all inspirational women; I love every single one of them more than they know! I know that whenever there is a problem, something is bothering me or I just need someone to go grab Sunday brunch with, I can count on any of these ladies. It's not just four years, it's for life! TFJ, XiLAM, and all that jazz <3=


1 comment:

Tell us what you think!