Monday, December 9, 2013

Surviving Finals

December is one of the happiest, yet most stressful times of the year.  Most college students are so close to being home for the holidays, but we still have to deal with finals.  Over the years, I've found a few ways to get through finals with my sanity... well, most of it.  Remember that what works for some people might not work for you, and it you have to find what works for you.  This is just what works for me.

1. Create a plan.  For me, this means planning out every hour of finals week.  I roughly plan when I'll have meals, when I'll take breaks, and when I'll study.  I use lots of sticky notes, Google calendar, and my planner to keep track of everything.  Being organized will ease the stress of finals, and having a schedule will help you feel more prepared.

Pinterest has great printable planners!


2. Take care of yourself.  I'll admit that it's much easier (and extremely tempting) to just order food everyday of finals week.  It'll be a lot better for your body and your wallet if you eat healthy foods.  Of course you should still eat foods you want!  If Chipotle is calling your name, head down there.  Schedule gym time to get yourself out of the library, even if it's only for 20 minutes.  If you stay healthy, you'll stay alert and ready to go!

Don't want to go to the gym?


3. Take breaks and relax.  Don't stress yourself out.  If you feel like you can't read one more word of biology or do one more stats practice problem, walk away for a minute.  I like to schedule about half an hour before bed to catch up on blogs, but I also take five minute breaks throughout studying.  If listening to music relaxes you, turn on Pandora!  Light a candle, do some yoga, grab some Starbucks!


 
The night before an exam, I make sure I have all of my materials together.  I also pick out a cute, comfortable outfit.  This helps me feel confident in myself!
 
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!